First, let us take a quick look at the cases when hook quotes are appropriate. You have to remember that academic essays for universities have strict requirements, and students must not use quotations in their introductions. “What’s the point of this post then?”, you can ask. If your assignment is closer to creative writing than to scientific research, you don’t have to follow the strictest rules and can use quotes at the beginning as a way to attract readers’ attention.
So, do you want to write an original essay from scratch and search for ideas? Quotations by famous philosophers can be a good choice. It will not make your paper look cheap; besides, you can relate philosophical citations to almost any topic.
- “I think therefore I am” René Descartes
- “One cannot step twice in the same river” Heraclitus
- “Happiness is not an ideal of reason but of imagination” Immanuel Kant
- “No man’s knowledge here can go beyond his experience” John Locke
- “Leisure is the mother of philosophy” Thomas Hobbes
Small tip: you can add a few words about the author to make your word count a little bigger. For example, you can write not just “René Descartes” but “René Descartes, an outstanding philosopher of 17th-century”.
No less successful can be used quotations from famous writers. They can be especially useful if your paper is directly related to the literature or kind of creative writing.
- “Read a thousand books, and your words will flow like a river.” Lisa See
- “The first draft is just you telling yourself the story.” Terry Pratchett
- “You can always edit a bad page. You can’t edit a blank page.” Jodi Picoult
- “Start writing, no matter what. The water does not flow until the faucet is turned on.” Louis L’Amour
- “If the book is true, it will find an audience that is meant to read it.” Wally Lamb
Pay attention that these quotations can be used in the papers in a metaphorical sense as well. For example, Jodi Picoult’s citation is relevant not only for written works but for any actions. The same is with other quotations. Don’t be afraid to think a little bit out of the box and make relations between a book or work of a writer with other things and kinds of activities.
Word a professional in the field of sport also can be used as a good hook for the paper. In such cases, adding a few words of sports expert personality are especially relevant. There is a very short list of people involved in different sports activities that are world-famous and well-known even by those who are not interested in the sport. Hence, it will be fine to note that Bill Shoemaker is an American jockey who held the world record for 29 years, and Mary Lou Retto is an American gymnast who won the all-around gold Olympic medal, and so on.
- “When you’re riding, only the race in which you’re riding is important.” Bill Shoemaker
- “A trophy carries dust. Memories last forever.” Mary Lou Retton
- “Persistence can change failure into extraordinary achievement.” Marv Levy
- “Make sure your worst enemy doesn’t live between your own two ears.” Laird Hamilton
- “The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a person’s determination.” Tommy Lasorda
Such citations can be especially useful for essays about motivation and different kinds of achievements. But you must not be limited by this statement and can create your own way to relate a chosen quotation to your topic.
If you have problems with writing hooks or papers in general and need help writing an essay, remember that you can always order a personalized example of an English paper of high quality on a website such as CustomWritings. Such online professional writing services provide assistance to the students of the USA and many other countries. A customer of such a company can get not only an example of a creative writing essay but also an academic paper, research article, review, or any other type.
Citations from famous scientists are top choices for college or university papers that are on the borders of something scientific and creative writing.
- “The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge” Stephen Hawking
- “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself – and you are the easiest person to fool.” Richard Feynman
- “The role of the infinitely small in nature is infinitely great” Louis Pasteur
- “Genius is two percent inspiration, ninety-eight percent perspiration” Thomas Edison
- “No great discovery was ever made without a bold guess” Sir Isaac Newton
But, once again, you must not be limited with the direct meanings and scientific area, and you have to feel free to use quotations in the way you like and feel it is appropriate. You even can start your hook and introduction with the opposite idea to the one you will manifest in your thesis statement. Just make sure that your thoughts go from one to another clearly and smoothly.
It is well-known that books are the best buy, and citations from literature are among the most useful ones. You can find many examples of aphorisms in the literature that will suit your topic. Here below are just several examples of the citations from the world-famous literature heritage.
- “All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.” Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina
- “It is nothing to die; it is dreadful not to live.” Victor Hugo, Les Misérables
- “Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.” George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four
- “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Grey
- “All the world’s a stage, and all the men and women merely players. They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts.” William Shakespeare, As You Like It.
You can use any of the citations from above or find other good quotes that will suit your paper. If your essay is closer to academic writing, don’t forget to cite it properly according to the required citation style. Remember about help from companies where you can custom examples of the paper. You can read the reviews to find the best service. And don’t forget that those are just examples and the best, the most creative paper you can write only by yourself. Good luck with that!