Since the launch of Threads by Meta (formerly Facebook), there have been numerous articles on the web about “How to delete a Threads account”. To be honest with you, Meta has not currently added the feature to delete a Threads account. However, according to some sources Meta may add this feature in the future to remove dependency on Instagram.
Currently, there are two ways of deleting the Treads account. These are:
- Deactivate your Thread Profile.
- Delete your Instagram account.
So, let’s carefully assess and explore each of the two methods separately.
Method 1: Deactivate Your Thread Profile on iPhone and Android
This will temporarily hide your profile from other users, but your data will still be stored on Meta’s servers. Begin by opening the Threads app and then adhere to the outlined steps:
- STEP 1: Tap on your profile icon in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- STEP 2: Tap on the two horizontal lines menu in the top right corner of your profile.
- STEP 3: Select “Settings“.
- STEP 4: Tap on “Account”.
- STEP 5: Tap on “Deactivate profile”.
- STEP 6: Tap on “Deactivate Threads profile”.
- STEP 7: Confirm it by tapping “Deactivate”.
Let’s now check how to delete Threads account permanently using Instagram.
Method 2: Delete Your Instagram Account
Currently, Meta has not integrated any feature to delete a Threads account; it is entirely dependent on Instagram. Since the new social media platform is directly connected to Instagram, the alternative method to delete a Threads profile is by deleting the associated Instagram account.
To proceed with this action, follow these sequential steps:
- STEP 1: Go to the Instagram website or app.
- STEP 2: Tap on your profile icon in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- STEP 3: Tap on the three horizontal lines situated in the upper right corner of your profile.
- STEP 4: Select “Settings and privacy”.
- STEP 5: Tap on “Account”.
- STEP 6: Simply tap on “Delete account“
- STEP 7: Select “Delete account” and then tap “Continue deleting account” to move forward.
- STEP 8: Select from the options to tell Instagram what is the reason that led you to delete your account.
- STEP 9: Finally click “Ok” to confirm it.
Note: The above steps discussed is for iPhone users. If you want to delete it through your computer or Android smartphone, you can take the help of help.instagram.com.
- How do I delete my Threads account permanently?
Presently there is currently no method to delete a Thread account permanently. In spite of that, if you feel it’s required, you can deactivate it.
- Is there any way to recover my Threads profile after I delete it permanently?
No, there is no way to recover your Threads account after you delete it permanently. Your data will be deleted from Meta’s servers and cannot be recovered.
- What if I change my mind and want to reactivate my Threads account after I delete it permanently?
You cannot reactivate your Threads account after you have deleted it permanently. Your data has been deleted from Meta’s servers and cannot be recovered.
According to Adam Mosseri, the head of an Instagram has stated that the company is currently working on ways to delete your Threads account separately. We will notify you as soon as we find any news about how to delete Threads accounts permanently.
Right now, you cannot delete your Threads profile directly, however you have an option to deactivate it. So, if you are keen to deactivate your Threads account then its our recommendation that you should go with the first method that we have discussed in the beginning.
- How to Delete a VSCO Account: A Step-by-Step Guide
- How To Delete Tumblr Account Permanently
- How to Delete Uploaded Contacts on Messenger iPhone: A Step-by-Step Guide
- How to Delete Facebook Comments Permanently
- How To Delete Stickers On Snapchat
- How to Delete Snapchat Friends
- How to delete files from Google drive